[fblike]For some odd reason the internet has gone out of its mind over this Verizon iPhone announcement. At approximately 11:06AM ET the words ‘Verizon iPhone‘ was mentioned at today’s news conference in New York. If you are contemplating switching carriers or buying the Verizon version of the iPhone you REALLY need to take a deep breath and consider a few things.
1. This is an iPhone 4. It is IDENTICAL to the AT&T version except that it runs on Verizon’s CDMA network. There is nothing new.
2. The Verizon iPhone 4 is a 3G phone. It does NOT work on Verizon’s new LTE 4G network.
3. Apple has a long history of releasing new iPhones on an annual basis. iPhone 4 was released last June 2010. That is 5 months away. That said, the iPhone 5 is right around the corner. Do you really want to sign a 2 year agreement now?
4. You CANNOT use data and voice at the same time. Anyone that tells you anything different is wrong. This was explicitly answered during the news conference. That means that if you use your iPhone as a tether or WiFi hotspot for another device (ie., iPad, laptop, etc) a phone call will stop all data connections, downloads, or whatever you were working on. Is this important to you?
5. According to Verizon’s website the iPhone has an unlimited data plan … with a 5GB cap. We assume the ‘unlimited’ part is that you can go to any website?
6. AT&T iPhone users may want to stay with their network. The off-loading of millions of iPhone users over to Verizon may improve the AT&T experience. You may want to just sit tight!
7. If you are new to Verizon, remember, Verizon’s data over it’s network is slower than AT&T or T-Mobile. In some markets it can average at half the speed!
Consider why you really
need want the Verizon iPhone. Think about what you are going to use it for and the quality of Verizon data streams your home network market.